Tuesday 26 April 2011

Modal Auxiliaries And Similar Expressions

Hi dear readers,

The modal auxiliaries in English are: Can, could, had better, may, might, must, ought to, shall, should, will, would.
Modal auxiliaries generally express speaker's attitude, or "moods." For example, modals can express that a speaker feels something necessary, advisable,  permissible, possible, or probable; and, in addition, they can convey the strength of these attitudes.
Each modal has more than one meaning or use.

Modal Auxiliaries:
1) I can do it.
2) I could do it.
3) I had better do it.
4) I may do it.
5) I might do it.
6) I must do it.
7) I ought to do it.
8) I shall do it.
9) I should do it.
10) I will do it.
11) I would do it.


Modals do not take a final -s even when the subject is he, she, or it.

He can do it. (Correct)
He cans do it. (Incorrect)

Modals are followed immediately by the simple form of a verb.
The only exception is ought, which is followed by an infinitive (to + the simple form of a verb).

He can do it. (Correct)
He can to do it./He can does it./He can did it. (Incorrect)


Similar Expressions:

1) Be able to do it.
2) Be going to do it
3) Be supposed to do it.
4) Be to do it.
5) Have to do it.
6) Have got to do it.
7) Used to do it.

It is a list of common expressions whose meanings are similar to those of some of the modal auxiliaries. For example, be able to is similar to can; be going to is similar to will.
An infinitive (to + the simple form of a verb) is used in these similar expressions.

Cheers!
Naeem

No comments:

Post a Comment