Sunday 15 May 2011

USING PROGRESSIVE VERB FORMS

Notice the use of progressive verb forms in the following examples. Even in conditional sentences, progressive verb forms are used in progressive situations.

(a) True: It is raining right now, so I will not go for a walk.
(b) Conditional: If it were not raining right now, I would go for a walk.

(c) True: I am not living in Chile. I am not working at a bank.
(d) Conditional: If I were living in Chile, I would be working at a bank.

(e) True: It was raining yesterday afternoon, so I did not go for a walk.
(f) Conditional: If it had not been raining, I would have gone for a walk.

(g) True: I was not living in Chile last year. I was not working at a bank.
(h) Conditional: If I had been living in Chile last year, I would have been working at a bank.


Cheers!
Naeem

Source(s):
Understanding and Using English Grammar by Betty Schrampfer Azar

No comments:

Post a Comment