Monday 2 May 2011

Polite requests with "Would you mind"

Examples:

Asking Permission

(a) Would you mind if I closed the window?
(b) Would you mind if I used the phone?

Notice in (a): Would you mind if I is followed by the simple past. (Sometimes in informal spoken English, the simple present is used: Would you mind if I close the window?)

The meaning in (a) : May I close the window? Is it all right if I close the window? Will it cause you any trouble or discomfort if I close the window?

Typical Responses:

No. Not at all.
NO, of course not.
No, that would be fine.


Asking Someone Else To Do Something

(c) Would you mind closing the window?
(d) Excuse me? Would you mind repeating that?

Notice in (c): Would you mind is followed by -ing (a gerund).
The meaning in (c): I don't want to cause you any trouble, but would you please close the window? Would that cause you any inconvenience?

Typical Responses:

No. I'd be happy to.
Not at all. I'd be glad to.



Cheers!
Naeem

No comments:

Post a Comment