Thursday 5 May 2011

Making suggestions: Let's, Why don't, Shall I/we

Examples:

(a) Let's go to a movie.
(b) Let's not go to a movie. Let's stay home instead.

Let's = let us. Let's is followed by the simple form of a verb.
Negative form: let's + not + simple verb.
The meaning of let's: "I have a suggestion for us."

(c) Why don't we go to a movie?
(d) Why don't you come around seven?
(e) Why don't I give Mary a call?

Why don't is used primarily in spoken English to make a friendly suggestion.

In (c): Why don't we go = Let's
In (d): I suggest that you come around seven.
In (e): Should I give Mary a call? Do you agree with my suggestion?

(f) Shall I open the window? Is that okay with you?
(g) Shall we leave at two? Is that okay?
(h) Let's go, shall we?
(i) Let's go, okay?


When shall is used with "I" or "we" in a question, the speaker is usually making a suggestion and asking another person if s/he agrees with this suggestion.

Sometimes "shall we" is used as a tag question after let's. More informally, "okay"? is used as a tag question as in (i).


Cheers!
Naeem

No comments:

Post a Comment