Saturday 17 September 2011

SUMMARY CHART OF MODALS AND SIMILAR EXPRESSIONS

Auxiliary: may
Uses: (1) polite request (2) formal permission (3) less than 50% certainty
Present/Future: (1) May I borrow your pen? (2) You may leave the room. (3) --Where's John? He may be at the library.
Past: (1) -- (2) -- (3) He may have been at the library.

Auxiliary: might
Uses: (1) less than 50% certainty (2) polite request (rare)
Present/Future: --Where's John? He might be at the library. (2) Might I borrow your pen?
Past: (1) He might have been at the library. (2) --

Auxiliary: should 
Uses: (1) advisability (2) 90% certainty 
Present/Future: (1) I should study tonight. (2) She should do well on the test. (future only, not present) 
Past: (1) I should have studied last night.  (2) She should have done well on the test.

Auxiliary: ought to 
Uses: (1) advisability (2) 90% certainty 
Present/Future: (1) I ought to study tonight. (2) She ought to do well on the test. (future only, not present) 
Past: (1) I ought to have studied last night.  (2) She ought to have done well on the test.

Auxiliary: had better 
Uses: (1) advisability with threat of bad result.
Present/Future: (1) You had better be on time, or we will leave without you.
Past: (1) (past form uncommon)

Auxiliary: be supposed to
Uses: (1) expectation 
Present/Future: (1) Class is supposed to begin at 10.
Past: (1) Class was supposed to begin at 10.

Auxiliary: be to
Uses: (1) strong expectation
Present/Future: (1) You are to be here at 9:00. 
Past: (1) You were to be here at 9:00.

Auxiliary: must 
Uses: (1) strong necessity (2) prohibition (negative) (3) 95% certainty 
Present/Future: (1) I must go to class today. (2) You must not open that door. (3) Mary isn't in class. She must be sick. (present only) 
Past: (1) I had to go to class yesterday.  (2) -- (3) Mary must have been sick yesterday.
  
Auxiliary: have to 
Uses: (1) necessity (2) lack of necessity (negative) 
Present/Future: (1) I have to go to class today. (2) I don't have to go to class today. 
Past: (1) I had to go to class yesterday.  (2) I didn't have to go to class yesterday.

Auxiliary: have got to 
Uses: (1) necessity 
Present/Future: (1) I have got to go to class today. 
Past: (1) I had to go to class yesterday.

Auxiliary: will 
Uses: (1) 100% certainty (2) willingness (3) polite request 
Present/Future: (1) He will be here at 6:00. (2) --The phone's ringing. I'll get it. (3) Will you please pass the salt? 
Past: (1) -- (2) -- (3) --

Auxiliary: be going to 
Uses: (1) 100% certainty (2) definite plan 
Present/Future: (1) He is going to be here at 6:00. (future only) (2) I'm going to paint my bedroom. (future only) 
Past: (1) --  (2) I was going to paint my bedroom, but I didn't have time.

Auxiliary: can 
Uses: (1) ability/possibility (2) informal permission (3) informal polite request (4) impossibility (negative only) 
Present/Future: (1) I can run fast. (2) You can use my car tomorrow. (3) Can I borrow your pen? (4) That can't be true! 
Past: (1) I could run fast when I was a child, but now I can't. (2) -- (3) -- (4) That can't have been true!

Auxiliary: could 
Uses: (1) past ability (2) polite request (3) suggestion (4) less than 50% certainty (5) impossibility (negative only) 
Present/Future: (1) -- (2) Could I borrow your pen? Could you help me?. (3) --I need help in math. You could talk to your teacher. (4) --Where's John? He could be at home. (5) That couldn't be true! 
Past: (1) I could run fast when I was a child. (2) -- (3) You could have talked to your teacher. (4) He could have been at home. (5) That couldn't have been true!

Auxiliary: be able to 
Uses: (1) ability 
Present/Future: (1) I am able to help you. I will be able to help you. 
Past: (1) I was able to help you.

Auxiliary: would 
Uses: (1) polite request (2) preference (3) repeated action in the past 
Present/Future: (1) Would you please pass the salt? Would you mind if I left early? (2) I would rather go to the park than stay home. (3) -- 
Past: (1) -- (2) I would rather have gone to the park.. (3) When I was a child, I would visit my grandparents every weeked.

Auxiliary: used to 
Uses: (1) repeated action in the past 
Present/Future: (1) -- 
Past: (1) I used to visit my grandparents every weekend.

Auxiliary: shall 
Uses: (1) polite question to make a suggestion (2) future with "I" or "we" as subject 
Present/Future: (1) Shall I open the window? (2) I shall arrive at nine. (will = more common) 
Past: (1) --  (2) --


Cheers!
Naeem

Source(s):
Understanding and Using English Grammar by Betty Schrampfer Azar

No comments:

Post a Comment